Thursday 3 November 2011

Read of the Month - October

It's November already! How did that happen?
I seem to have somewhat abandoned my blog over the past month - sorry! In my defence I haven't had anything to blog about. My writing is still on hold and I haven't read much either. I've only managed four books this month, which seems like hardly anything. Anyway, once again I'm late with my read of the month, but here it is:


Isabel Wolff's The Very Picture of You.
I have been waiting and waiting for a new book from Isabel Wolff ever since putting down her previous book A Vintage Affair over two years ago, which I absolutely loved. It was a long wait, but it was definitely worth it, as The Very Picture of You is a brilliant read and one I couldn't recommend highly enough.

The main character in this book is Ella Graham, a portrait painter who absolutely loves what she does. I loved how throughout the story we were introduced to a number of Ella's portrait sitters, all with a story of there own to tell and who were all interesting in their own way. It was a nice way of meeting some secondary characters and I felt it really tied the story together well as it meant there was focus on other stories and characters aside from Ella and her close friends and family .There was a great build up of suspense and mystery throughout the length of the book which kept me turning the pages, eager to find out the truth.

To reveal anything else about the book, I fear will ruin the story for anyone that hasn't read it and still wishes to, so I'm not going to reveal any more other than say that this is great read that you regret picking up.

I'm sure I said this last month, but this month, I am defintely going to try and read much more. I picked up Georgie Carter's (Ruth Saberton) Christmas book the other week while I was in Sainsbury's, so I am going to read that before the big day, which I have found out today is only 52 sleeps away!  I've also got Ali Harris' debut book Miracle on Regent Street on my To Be Read pile aswell, so I'll be reading that shortly too.

No comments:

Post a Comment